TOP COAT: How to use Gator Hide
DIXIE BELLE GATOR HIDE
Tough Water Resistant Top Coat
Gator Hide is a tough top coat that is water resistant. You can use it for all over protection, however, I put it on all of my table tops. It gives that extra protection against cup rings and extra abuse from kids or just high usage.
Gator Hide dries to a nice soft satin finish.
The thing to be careful about Gator Hide is that it dries quickly. So don't over work it or you will get brush strokes. Once you have gone over an area with a couple of long smooth strokes (dont stop and start - move straight across your piece) leave it alone. If there are areas that you have missed, wait until it has dried to go over it again with long smooth strokes.
Apply Gator Hide with a brush or many people like the blue sponge. My favorite method is to use a roller. It easily gives me a flawless finish.
PRO TIP. Start with a damp brush or sponge. However, if you use a roller - do Not use any water!
Allow your paint to completely dry. Use a damp brush or sponge and apply a thin coat of Gator Hide in long strokes. It dries fast so try not to go over what you have already applied. You can always take care of any missed areas after the product has dried. Once completely dried, apply a second coat in the same manner. I generally like to apply a third thin coat.
1. Use thin coats. Don't overwork it.
2. On dark paint colors, pour some Gator Hide in a bowl. Add a drop of your paint color (a quarter of a teaspoon) and stir. It is important not to add too much paint as it will change the formulation of Gator Hide.
3. Again, use thin strokes, allowing the product to dry thoroughy in between coats.
Shop for Gator Hide here.
About Georgia Vintage
We are furniture decorative artists that will help you to transform your furniture & decor into a works of art. We are a top 100 Dixie Belle Retailer. We sell:
- Furniture Decoupage Paper
- Redesign by Prima Transfers and decorative accessories
- Dixie Belle Chalk Mineral Paint
Georgia Vintage Retail Store:
Inside Angry Mama's Antiques
131 Merchants Square, Cumming, GA 30004
Questions? Contact: Cella Nelson